‘The Music Man’ canceled after Hugh Jackman gets COVID-19

There will be no music for the Jackman.

Hugh Jackman’s Broadway production “The Music Man” has been postponed until Jan. 1 after he announced he contracted the coronavirus. The actor won’t return until at least Jan. 6.

The 53-year-old tweeted his diagnosis on Tuesday alongside a short clip of himself wearing a mask.

“Just wanted you to hear it from me,” he wrote. “I tested positive for COVID. Mild symptoms and as soon as I’m cleared … looking forward to getting back to The Winter Garden! @MusicManBway.”

In the video, he reiterated his tweet, saying: “I just wanted you to hear it from me that I tested positive this morning for COVID,” Jackman said in a video posted to Twitter and Instagram. “My symptoms are like a cold. I have a scratchy throat and a bit of a runny nose, but I’m fine. And I’m just gonna do everything I can to get better ASAP. And as soon as I’m cleared, I’ll be back on stage, heading to River City.”

“Please stay safe,” the “X-Men” star continued. “Be healthy, be kind.”

Hugh Jackman said he has COVID-19 and is now unable to perform on his Broadway show “The Music Man.”
Twitter/@RealHughJackman

Representatives for the show told EW that performances have been canceled through Jan. 1 and tickets can be refunded or exchanged.

Despite many Broadway shows being closed due to the surge in COVID-19 cases, Jackman couldn’t help but hype up his show earlier this month.

“I’ve just arrived at the theater, and it is our first preview tonight,” he shared in a video on Instagram on Dec. 20. “I don’t know how many months — years this date has been in my head, but it feels like a long time. I am just so grateful and so … ah … blessed to be here in this position and I am so excited to share this show with you all.”

"As soon as I’m cleared … looking forward to getting back to The Winter Garden," he added.
“As soon as I’m cleared … looking forward to getting back to The Winter Garden,” he added.
Bruce Glikas/Getty Images

On Dec. 24, his co-star Sutton Foster became unavailable for the show’s fourth preview. Swing actor and understudy Kathy Voytko stepped in for the 46-year-old within an eight-hour notice.

“It’s not only happening here … but all over Broadway,” Jackman explained shortly after the preview, in footage captured by actress Katherine Winter. “This is a time we’ve never known. We’re in our fourth preview, we’re all just sort of learning so swings and understudies have not had a chance to learn.”




Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here